The Temple of D'erlong is also called "Shagou Temple". And because it is located in a deep valley and it is said the valley is full of precious deposits in legend. So the literal meaning of the Temple' s full name in means a valley full of precious deposits and worth for your China vacation deals.
It was said the founder of the Group, Mameilazhong and her loyal followers lived and worked around the area in the third Tibetan year (in AD 1184) or so, whose locality is located in today's Daxia County and its around. And Mameilazhong and her loyal followers cultivated faithfully themselves according to their own doctrines among Tibetan Buddhism and disseminated their own doctrines to the public. And then they decided to do much more help to the public and to disseminate Tibetan Buddhism in a larger scale in the coming future.
In order to realize their sincere wishes Mameilazhong and her loyal followers began to accumulate Tibetan Buddhism classics, ritual implements including musical instruments. In the following days, her oldest apprentice made a holy container used to bury the valuable Tibetan Buddhism classics concerning its particular doctrines among its groups.
Inferior of the temple
?And another apprentice used a cover to cover holy container. The third apprentice wrote the characters of buried Tibetan Buddhism classics. At last, Mameilazhong sealed the holy container.
On the 10th March in the year of the third Tibetan year (in AD 1184) according to Tibetan Calendar, Mameilazhong and her loyal followers took the holy container which contained Tibetan Buddhism classics, ritual implements and other saint things to a cave of today's D'erlong and buried all the saint things in a rock which is looked like the belly of Bulu Buddha.
After the burial rituals, they did many other religious rituals which were connected with so-called holy theurgies(mysterious force and phenomenon ) in which they believed. And Mameilazhong also predicted the day when all the buried saint things would be found again in the future. Later, some other monks from another group came here and cultivated faithfully themselves according to their own doctrines among Tibetan Buddhism and built some simple holy buildings. Try to visit it for your popular China tours
In the year1222, a small temple which was called D'er temple was built. In the year 1558, the Temple of D'erlong was built well where doctrines of Gelu Group among Tibetan Buddhism were worshipped and believed. A great Buddha hall was established in the Temple , which could hold 500 monks one time.
In the year 1718, a great Buddha monk, Jiamuyang, came to the valley of D'erlong and found all the buried saint things buried by Mameilazhong on the 10th March in the year of the third Tibetan year (in AD 1184). Since then, Jiamuyang asked his apprentices to preside the Temple of D'erlong.
Before Liberation, there were 60 monks or so in the Temple. During the Cultural Revolution, the Temple of D'erlong was destroyed. In the year 1981 ,the great Buddha hall of the Temple of D'erlong was rebuilt. At present, there are 30 monks or so in the Temple of D'erlong.
Opening Hours: 08:00-19:00
Getting There& Away: A traveler can go by bus from Xiahe (famous destination for top 10 China tours) Station to the place and then he need to walk another half an hour or so before he can visit the temple.
How much do you know D'erlong Temple?