Many reports have highlighted the huge popularity of PHP for developing a wide variety of applications. According to the results of a Web Server Survey conducted by NetCraft.com, “By January 2013, PHP was being used by a remarkable 244M sites, meaning that 39% of sites in Netcraft's Web Server Survey were running PHP.” The outcome of the survey further revealed that PHP is being used to build 47% of business integration applications, 66% of external-facing web applications, and 62% of internal-facing web applications. The figure clearly indicates the effectiveness and popularity of the latest version of PHP in meeting the changing trends in enterprise level web development.
In comparison to other popular web languages, PHP is considered to be much simpler and easy to work with. Both experienced developers and beginners can switch to PHP 5 without putting any extra effort and time. At the same time, PHP also scores over other languages due to speed of development, enhanced security, and seamless working with Cloud. So a developer can use the language to develop multi-tiered and complex business interfaces to meet specific requirements, and work flow of his clients. There are also several advantages that a programmer can avail by using PHP 5 for enterprise level web development.
Why Use PHP 5 for Enterprise Level Web Application Development?
1. Supports Major Operating Systems: While developing a web-based business interface, you have to ensure that it is compatible with major operating systems and web browsers. The application further needs to be load tested comprehensively with multiple combinations of operating systems and browsers. As a scalable and dynamic programming language, PHP is portable on most of the widely used operating systems including Windows, Linux and Mac. The features make it easier for you to develop robust web applications, along with testing its performance in a virtual environment.
2. Effective in Handling Data from Various Sources: The method of storing data varies from one organization to another. Some businesses store information using databases, whereas others store the data in the form of documents and spreadsheets. The latest version of PHP is designed with features to handle data stored on a variety of data sources. Regardless of the data source, you can fetch the relevant information, and present it in several types of internet friendly formats including graphs, spreadsheets, PDF, XML data feeds, and plain HTML pages to suit the requirements of your business application.
3. Interoperability with Commonly Used Technologies: Often the popularity of a business application depends on its ability to meet changing user demands. There are always chances that you have to incorporate data obtained using other technologies to make you interface more robust. PHP provides a single platform that allows you to easily obtain data from several widely used technologies including Web Services, XML, SAP, LDAP and Lotus Notes. At the same time, you also have option to generate presentations using information obtained from these technologies to meet the specific needs of end users.
4. Easy to Integrate with Third-Party Applications: Most business applications are designed with smart tools and software applications developed by third-party companies. For instance, an ecommerce application uses shopping carts and payment gateway systems to process an online transaction successfully. Similarly, the application needs to be integrated directly with specific databases and directories. With PHP, you can easily integrate the databases, and existing applications with your enterprise application to enhance its performance and user experience.
5. Suitable for Mobile App Development: Many reports have highlighted how PHP is being used by developers to build engaging mobile apps. As the popularity of a mobile application depends on how it keep the users engaged, and personalize their experience, the language is used to create the most relevant context for mobile users. Along with being used on the client side, PHP is also being used as a server-side platform to make the mobile user-interface work in a more dynamic and innovative way. Also, its Cloud-based runtime makes PHP one of the best choices to build mobile applications.
6. Enhanced Security: While developing and testing enterprise applications, developers often have to look for most effective way to keep their interfaces secure and inaccessible. Despite having adequate training and experience, many programmers often find it a daunting challenge to build the most secure framework for their applications. PHP 5 comes with a set of advanced features to build enterprise level applications that are both safe and secure. A developer also has option to choose from a variety of frameworks like Zend, CakePHP and Symfony to easily enhance the security of his enterprise application development projects.
As PHP is open source technology, a developer can avail the assistance of a large community consisting of more than 4.500.000 developers across the world. The online resources and collection of code further help developers in building powerful enterprise level web application without putting any additional time and effort. This would help you leverage the benefits of php web development.
We provide php framework development services. If you would like to discuss with an expert php developer from our team, please get in touch with us at Mindfire Solutions.
Why PHP 5 for Enterprise Level Web Development?