How Nexium (Esomeprazole) treats Gastroesophageal reflux disease and heartburn disease?
The tablets and injection of this drug contain the active ingredient esomeprazole which come under a type of medication known as proton pump inhibitors. Proton pumps already exists in the cells, lining the stomach where stomach acid is produced by these cells. This drug works by halting the action of the proton pumps thus reducing the production of stomach acid.
The stomach produces acid which aids in the digestive process and is considered to be a normal part of the function. However, when medical conditions like acid reflux or gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) where the acid acid goes back into the esophagus also known as the food pipe. It is here where all the pain and burning sensation occurs which is known as heartburn. The inflammation and irritation of the lining of the food pipe are also the result of the acid.
Nexium (Esomeprazole) helps in reducing the production of acid in the stomach and thus the acid flowing back into the esophagus is also reduced. It can also be used for the long term treatment in people who have recovered from esophagitis since the suppressing of the stomach acid also prevents the condition from occurring again.
Side effects of Nexium (Esomeprazole)
- Inflammation of the liver (hepatitis),
- Decreased numbers of white blood cells or platelets in the blood (leucopenia or thrombocytopenia),
- Increased sensitivity of the skin to UV light (photosensitivity),
- Inflammation of the mouth (stomatitis),
- Skin reactions such as rash, itching, hives or dermatitis,
- Pain in the muscles and joints,
- Increased sweating,
- Disturbance of the gut like constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, or nausea.
- Excess gas formation both in the intestine and stomach (wind or flatulence),
- Dry mouth,
- Spinning sensation or dizziness
- Pin and needle sensations (paraesthesia),
- Swelling of the ankles and legs because of surplus fluid retention (peripheral oedema),
- Increased liver enzymes
- Difficulty sleeping (insomnia),
- Blurred vision,
- Taste disturbance
- Thrush infection (candidiasis) both in the intestines or stomach,
- Hair loss,
- Decreased sodium level in the blood (also known as hyponatremia).
Very rare side effects of Nexium (Esomeprazole);
- Agranulocytosis or pancytopenia which is the decreased number of every type of blood cells present in the blood,
- Kidney inflammation or interstitial nephritis,
- Liver failure,
- Muscle weakness,
- Severe skin reactions.
Some precautionsof Nexium (Esomeprazole)
Nexium should be used with caution if the person has decreased kidney or even a decreased liver function. Children under twelve years or women who are breastfeeding are not supposed to be given this drug.
You can buy Nexium (Esomeprazole) at discount prices on Global Meds Canada one of the best Canadian pharmacy to cater to all your branded, generic, over-the-counter and pet medications.