With rising access to information, IT security threats have also reached all time high where organizations are required to setup policies to secure their enterprise data in a heterogeneous environment. The increasing popularity of mobile technology has made it more important for setting up foolproof security policy across interfaces.
As a team member of IT security services you would be responsible for securing organizational data. IT security professionals are responsible for adhering to the security standards implemented by the government regulatory authorities and company’s internal data security policies. They must ensure that information and data secrecy meet the standardizations on a regular basis. With growing acceptance of cloud computing importance of IT security services professionals have grown manifold in an organizational architecture. The main tasks that IT security consultant needs to undertake are listed as below:
- Implementing security policies and best practices
- Introducing advanced security technology
- Sensitizing users to the security policies
- Introducing firewall, hacker recognition and antivirus software
- Allowing data access and setting up user accounts
- Security management and governance
- Implementing and upgrading security standards
- Auditing and control
Like the chief technical officer the role of chief security officer is also becoming important in an organizational structure. The security officer will be responsible for deciding about the security policies of an organization and implementing technology. He will also be required to constantly monitor data movement to work on emergency basis for any security breach.
The IT security officer may also be responsible for allowing data access privileges to users, creating multiple layers of data access and setting authorization accounts to offer comprehensive application management solutions. He will be the decision maker regarding security policies when the data is accessed remotely.
At the entry level the candidate may become a part of the team in implementing complex security standards. He can gradually move up the career ladder to become chief security officer. He will then be required to handle security projects and lead it to successful completion. Set of skills prerequisite for IT security services professionals are:
- Graduation or diploma in computer science or security or system administration.
- Special certification courses like - CISSP, SANS or GIAC.
- Expertise in directory services, network management, database management, distributed security architectures and security system management.
- Knowledge and experience in administering virtual private network, token and authentication system, firewall and TCP/IP protocol.
- Experience in different operating systems such as – Windows, Unix, Linux etc.
- Project management skills along with team management abilities.
- Communication and interpersonal skills.
- Troubleshooting abilities.
Many training institutes offer certification courses in network and system security management to help IT security professionals further in their careers.