It is an environmental assessment method which has become a parameter for evaluating building environmental performance. It sets the standards for best practice with sustainable building designs. BREEAM covers all kinds of buildings like schools, healthcare buildings, offices, industrial units etc. To study the environmental impact of a building it is important to manage and improve the existing building structure.
BREEAM assessment is an easy to use methodology and is based on evidence and research, which is certified by a third party and paves the way for improved sustainability. BREEAM in use can help in the following ways
- Bring down the operational and running costs.
- Has a favourable effect on the design, construction and management of the buildings.
- Helps improve the environment in which people work.
- A better work environment helps increase the productivity in conjunction with higher satisfaction levels.
- Is transparent and provides a base for negotiations for improvements in the building between the owners and landlords.
- Helps to engage the staff in following sustainable business practices.
- Helps in compliance with environmental legislation and standards.
- Demonstrates social responsibility.
BREEAM is used by developers, planners and clients to gain high visibility in the market. Property dealers make use of BREEAM to highlight the environmental advantages and credentials to prospective buyers or tenants. Design teams use BREEAM to improve environmental performance of the building to attain sustainability. Managers use it to bring down running costs, improve employee morale and productivity and increase the performance of the building.