The benefits of exercise have become so important to such an extent that companies have now started their own fitness programmes. Worksites play a crucial role in influencing the health of their employees. Most of the adults walk more at their workplace than anywhere else, making it a prime venue for promoting healthier habits. Absenteeism due to bad health will reduce company’s productivity. Regular workouts and health awareness would reduce work related stress and other diseases to a greater extent. Spending on a corporate wellness program can produce a healthy return on investment, according to multiple surveys and case studies cited by organizations such as, the Wellness Council of America.
Corporate Fitness has assumed a lot of significance in Melbourne. Companies are advocating many fitness regimens in their daily activities including yoga, Pilates and breathing exercises. The in-work fitness culture is becoming popular in Melbourne city and in other parts of the world. The Benefits of corporate fitness programmes are discussed below:
• Decreased Tardiness and Lower Absenteeism: A regular corporate fitness programme ensures that the employees are healthy and less prone to ailments. Fit employees miss fewer workdays and fewer hours during the workday usually due to dealing with pains, taking medicines and visits to the doctor. A decrease in weight and stronger core muscles reduces back pain, which is the commonly cited as a reason for low employee turnout in offices.
• Lower Healthcare Costs: Companies with healthy employees spend less on their medical bills - thus saving money and increasing productivity enormously.
• Improved Productivity: The more an employee stays on the job; higher will be the productivity. Du Pont Corporation decreased its employee disability days by more than 11,700 after implementing a corporate fitness program. The attendance also improved by 19% raising employee productivity and making the workplace, a better working atmosphere.
• Improved Corporate Image: Businesses that provide corporate fitness programs demonstrate their employees that they care about employee health. A strong corporate image can increase staff retention and enhance the appeal of the organization as a good place to work.
• Low Employee Turnover: Corporate fitness in Melbourne and in other parts of the world will contribute to the enhanced retention of employees.
• Return on Investment: A recent review on corporate health and fitness programmes in Melbourne reported a significant return on investment (ROI) with a benefit to cost ratio ranging from $1.49 to $4.91 in benefits for every dollar spent on the program.
A report by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in the year 2002 revealed that companies having corporate fitness programmes have:
Reduced health care costs by 20 to 55 percent
Reduced short term sick leave by 6 to 32 percent
Increased productivity by 2 to 52 percent.
Role of Corporate Fitness in Employee Retention