Original Source: How To Jailbreak iPhone 4s
Redsn0w untethered jailbreak for the iOS 5.1.1 firmware for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch has been released by the iPhone Dev team. As in the Absinthe 2.0.x jailbreak, the Redsn0w hack works on the Rocky Racoon untethered jailbreak developed by pod2g and planetbeing.
If you follow the procedure given in this article, it will be a piece of cake to jailbreak your iPhone on iOS 5.1.1 with the aid of Redsn0w not only for Mac users but also for Windows. But before you carry it on, there are some noteworthy points you should be aware of:
- Your warranty for your iPhone might get voided by jailbreaking it.
- This particular procedure is only for iPhone users. iPod touch users can see this tutorial while this tutorial can be checked out by iPad users.
- Download Redsn0w and this Redsn0w 0.9.12b2 will support untethered jailbreak and iPhone 4S, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1.
- Be sure your iPhone is on iOS 5.1.1 before you start. To look it up, go to Settings > General > About > Version (it should be 5.1.1).
- You must backup your iPhone before this process.
- Also, update your version of iTunes to the latest.
- Important: If you have much media on your iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS that you don’t intend to lose, then you can put your device in DFU mode and then jailbreak it.
Coming to the main procedure, here is a stepwise simple guide to jailbreak your iPhone:
Step 1: Go to this link to download Redsn0w’s updated version and put it on your desktop in a folder. Name it “Redsn0w”.
Step 2: Start the Redsn0w application by doubly clicking the zip file and extracting it to the Redsn0w folder you saved on your desktop.
Step 3: Once you have launched Redsn0w, click on the button labeled ‘Jailbreak’.
Step 4: Redsn0w will undergo the three processes as it starts jailbreak:
- Finishing up
Step 5: After completion, you will be informed by Redsn0w but don’t just start using it yet. Wait for your iPhone to reboot. Once it comes back to life again, and then is your jailbreak really complete.
You should see a Cydia icon on the Home screen. Don’t panic if it’s not visible there, use Spotlight to find it.
If this is your first time and you are left clueless what to do next, you might want to checkout jailbreak apps page that allows you to download different apps through Cydia to your iPhone.
Tips to keep your iPhone secure, is also a useful article to look up.
If you come across any trouble in the process, leave a comment to let me know.