Are you a teacher interested in furthering your education and/or polishing your skill-set? Have you considered accomplishing this purpose through an online Master’s Degree in Education? An online Master’s Degree in Education offers a number of potential benefits to both full and part-time teachers, and with so many programs to choose from you’re almost certain to find one that matches your particular interests, career plans and schedule. To illustrate this, in this article we will briefly discuss some of the more prominent benefits of an online Master’s Degree in Education, and outline a few of the options available within this very broad program of study.
Online Master’s Degree in Education: The Benefits
As an educator, regardless of the grade level you work with or the subject you teach, furthering your education is not only recommended, in many states and school districts it is absolutely required. Continuing education credits, especially for new teachers, is typically one of the conditions of a teaching credential or certificate, meaning that teachers will need to take at least a couple of classes each year to brush up on their skills and stay abreast of current educational trends. Fortunately, this requirement can now be met by taking online classes towards your Master’s Degree, which essentially allows you to “kill two birds with one stone.”
Below are just a few of the benefits of earning an online Master’s Degree in Education:
- Fulfill the “continuing education” requirement of your teaching credential or certificate
- Polish your current skill-set
- Discover new techniques and practices in Education
- Advance in your career (especially if you’re interested in Education Administration or teaching at the University level).
- Earn more money
- Study at your own pace
- Study at home with no need for commuting
- Meet and collaborate with other like-minded students and instructors
- And much more…
After teaching all day, grading papers, and perhaps even serving on one or more school committees, it can be difficult to muster up the motivation to then commute in the evening to a college in order to take your required classes. However, with an online Master’s Degree in Education, most of your coursework can be completed from the comfort of your home and at times when it’s most convenient for you.
Online Master’s Degree in Education: Programs Available
“Online Master’s Degree in Education” is an umbrella term under which there are many different programs and tracts. Some of these programs of study include:
- Master of Science in Special Education. This program is designed to equip Special Education teachers with the required skills and knowledge necessary to work with at-risk students who have a variety of learning, physical and emotional disabilities
- Master of Science in Learning Technologies. Advances in technology move at the speed of light, and individuals who are proficient in these technologies continue to be in high demand. This program will provide students with the requisite knowledge of these technologies and show them how they can be implemented in the classroom to improve student learning.
- Master of Science in Learning and Curriculum. This program is essentially an extension of the Bachelor’s Degree in Education and the teaching credential program. With courses in both educational theory and practical application, this Master’s program is designed to arm teachers with some of the more advanced methods for teaching and curriculum development.
The classes in the online Master’s Degree in Education programs are generally designed by instructors with real-life teaching experience who understand how difficult your daily grind can be. As a result, each program is designed to allow you to work at your own pace, and at times when you’ll be the most productive.