Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP are often configured to dual-boot, so as to run special applications, test new operating system, or benefit from the features of two different platforms. Such setups can sometimes get affected and give errors that might prevent Windows 2003 to start, rendering the data inaccessible. This occurs because Windows Server 2003 includes certain startup features that are unrecognizable by Windows XP.
Windows Recovery Console can aid a user to run some specific commands to make Windows work again. But if the user fails in his attempts, then he requires a last backup or a windows data recovery utility to restore lost data.
Consider a user using Windows Server 2003 installed in dual-boot configuration with Windows XP. When he tries to start Windows Server 2003, the process fails and the below error pops up:
- “Windows Server 2003 could not start because the following files were missing or corrupted:
- Windows\System32\Config\System Ntldr MISSING
- You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup from original floppies or boot from CD-ROM.
- Select 'r' at first screen to repair”
- User cannot access data after he receives the above error.
The above problem is most likely to occur when you install Windows XP after installing Windows Server 2003 or dual-boot after reinstalling Windows XP. Windows Server 2003 startup features are different from that of Windows XP and the shared boot files, which are Ntldr and Ntdetect.com, are replaced.
For solving the depicted problem, you need to replace the shared boot files. To do this, you can:
- Boot the computer using Windows installation disc
- Start Windows Recovery Console
- Start command prompt and run 'fixboot' command
- Open I386 folder of Windows CD-ROM and copy Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files to the root folder on your hard disk drive
If Windows is still unbootable, reinstall and restore data from backup. And in case of any backup issues, use a Windows Data Recovery Software. These are efficient Windows Data Recovery products that can scan and restore lost, deleted, or missing files and folders from crashed disks.
Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery is a professional utility that recovers lost data from Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2003, and 2000 computers. With a user-friendly interface, this windows data recovery software is quite simple to use. The tool supports file systems like, FAT32, VFAT, NTFS, and NTFS5.