Wooden floors look classy and elegant. But they are also high maintenance items. Stains can really mar the beauty of a classic wooden floor. It can be difficult to remove stains from wooden surface. Stubborn satins tend to hung on to it. But with the help of the tips discussed in this post you will be able to tackle most of the difficult stains on your wooden floor and retain its shine for a long time.
- To begin with, judge the surface of your floor. If the floor is relatively new and has its seal on, the stain could be superficial and can be removed easily by wiping it with a sponge mop. However, if the floor is relatively old the stain may reach into its layers. It, in that case, would be difficult to deal with. It may need rigorous scrubbing and/or sanding with special stain removal chemicals to remove stains from wooden floor.
- The next step would be to analyze the nature of the stain. Some stains can be dealt with easily whereas others would demand serious attention. Choose cleaning product depending upon the type of stain. Stains caused by alcohol, non-greasy food, fruits, candy, nail polish, lipstick and such can be washed off with a mixture of mild detergent and warm water using a mop floor cleaner. Stains caused by grease, however, may need special treatment.
- To deal with stubborn stains caused by oil, grease, blood and things like that, mix ammonia with cold water. Soak a piece of cloth or a sponge mop in the mixture and rub the stain with it. You can also pour some concentrated floor cleaning chemical on the stain and allow it to soak into the spot. Wipe it off with a cleaning towel when the stain fades.
- Removing dark spots from wooden floor can be quite a job. It may involve several stages and therefore, you need to be patient. First scrub the affected area using mineral spirit and steel wool. Next, soak the area with household vinegar and allow it to settle for several moments. At the final stage if the stain doesn’t fade out by following the previous steps apply oxalic acid on it.
- Proper equipments are essential to take on the floor cleaning regime. Check your supplies and replenish your stocks. If you have to deal with spots keep cleaning items like mineral spirits, fifty-fifty solution of household bleach, oxalic acid, household vinegar, mop floor cleaner, steel wool and wash cloths.
- If you are not sure that you can take on all the hard work necessary to remove stains from your wooden floor surface, you can hire the service of professional floor cleaners.