Driving is the skilful operation and handling of a land vehicle, such as a car, truck or bus with the ability to control its direction, acceleration and deceleration as well as being able to successfully handle it in an emergency situation. Comparing driving in the day and at night, night driving brings different challenges and the biggest and common difference between the two is the variation in visibility. Night driving is usually terrifying for new drivers and is the leading cause of traffic death rates approximately three times higher.
Most young drivers get involved in late night accidents because of their carelessness like not using seat belts and the tendency to racie with friends on highways, as well as the growingtrend of consuming alcohol and driving in an inebriated state.
A driver should be aware of the laws as the person driving is bound to the rules of the road such as vehicle registration,vehicle safety inspection, car insurance and driving liscense. Some driving skills can be adopted for smart and safe driving such as perfect setting of the gear, application of skid control, use of proper steering and braking techniques, proper hand placement and seating position, etc. The headlights also play an important role and they should be turned on as soon as daylight fades so that the driver can see well in the dark and other road users can be aware and alert of the car. Once evening comes, interior lights of the car should be turned off with the dashboard dimmer switch turned on. The head lights and windscreen should be adjusted properly and cleaned regularly so that the road is clearly visible.
Some of the basic rules of driving are as follows –
- Safety measure should be taken while driving at night.
- Speed limit should be adhered to and should not exceed 40 km/hr.
- Headlights should be aligned to the correct position.
- The eyes and the mind should be alert and relaxed while driving. Concentration is the key to good driving.
- Various tricks should be adopted for smart driving.
- Interior Lights should be switched off.
- Before taking the car to the road in dark, proper working of exterior lights and brakes should be examined thoroughly.
- To get rid of visioning problem, a pair of glasses of bright orange or yellow coloured lenses can be adopted which can prevent accident caused due to visioning.
- One should not drive continuously over long distances to avoid accidents due to sleepiness or fatigue. Smoking and using cell phones are major distractions and should be avoided while driving.
- It is important to avoid looking directly at bright headlights of other cars to prevent accidents.
Driving at night can be a thrilling experience if a person drives safely, sensibly, wisely and rationally.
Gaadi.com, the most comprehensive automotive portal in India, is an easy-to-navigate data loaded platform for researching, selling and buying automobiles. Launched in 2008, Gaadi.com is a division of South African media giant Naspers’ subsidiary MIH India.
Packed with updated information and specs, latest news, expert reviews, proprietary content, on-road prices, exclusive videos, galleries, comprehensive used car listings, forums and a host of interactive tools; Gaadi.com empowers the user by providing everything required to make an informed decision. From finding the most suitable car to getting a quote to booking a test drive to loans and insurance to selling or buying a used vehicle and everything in between, this one stop destination has the answer to every automobile related requirement.