Original Source: How To Set Up Wireless in Puppy Linux
Setting up a wireless WiFi /IEEE 802.11 with the help of the graphical networking wizard in Puppy Linux can be done following the given procedure.
In the case you are not using an entirely new router; you may skip directly to the step “Detecting your wireless adapter” further in this article. Before proceeding, connect your router to your computer.
Connect the new router
- If your internet has to be shared then plug it into the socket for internet.
- Into your PC, use the Ethernet cable to plug in your router.
- Open up the browser and type the address "http://192.168.0.1 192.168.0.1" or "http://192.168.2.1 192.168.2.1", or "http://192.168.1.1 192.168.1.1".
- Give your username and password from your service provider or router. It’s usually “admin” and “admin”.
- Next step is to enable your wireless followed by an encryption set up. The encryption should be WPA at the least since WEP can be easily cracked. . If you have AES available then use that otherwise TKIP is recommended. Now type a passkey that should be minimum 64 characters so you might want to have a memorable one.
Detecting the adapter
- You will see a “Connect” icon right on your desktop, click that.
- Select "Connect to Internet by network interface". If a wireless device appears in “Interfaces” or “Driver Modules” in case of Puppy 2 series then go directly to "Connecting to a network".
- Go to Load Module, click automatic and OK it. If no errors occur then you may go to the step "Connecting to a network" otherwise anyone of the following might help:
If the wireless adapter isn’t automatically detected then look for the manufacturer and model. From the list, select and OK it.
If you can’t find your adapter on the given list then go to WirelessWorking where you can find cards workable with Puppy.
In case of no listing of the wireless adapter, you may also select "ndiswrapper" and your Microsoft Windows driver (.inf file). Keep clicking OK till Network Setup screen appears.
4. Save the settings.
Connecting to a Network
- Select the recently found wireless adapter under ‘Interfaces’.
- Click “Wireless” on the window that appears.
- “Scan” it, this might have to do several attempts. After it works, select your network (look for your manufacturer and model) and click OK.
- Select your Encryption as explained earlier. Click on either WEP or WPA/TKIP and enter the lengthy passkey in “Provide a key”.
- Click on “Use this Profile”.
- You will be connected when you click “Auto DHCP” and if that doesn’t work then click “Static IP” and enter your IP addresses yourself.
- When you hit Save, your connection under these settings will initiate each time you start it.
- After checking if your internet is working, click Done.
How To Set Up Wireless Network in Puppy Linux