Eggplant is one vegetable which is very quick to cook. It could be fried or baked in no time. This vegetable is very popular in every part of the world and is cooked in numerous ways. Eggplant bharta or “Baingan Ka Bharta” as it is called in India, is a typical north Indian dish, though it is equally popular in every part of the country.
What makes this one of the most easy eggplant recipes is that it is quick and simple to cook, while the ingredients are easily available. This dish is generally served with Indian flat bread.
- 3 medium-sized eggplants (500gms)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 2 medium-sized onions finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of garlic paste (for this easy eggplant recipes you could also use finely chopped garlic)
- 1 inch ginger finely grated
- 2 green chillies (if you like it hot)
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (look for garam masala in the Asian market)
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh green coriander
- This quantity will serve four.
- Cooking Directions
- Roast the eggplant
- To cook this easy eggplant recipes the eggplant has to be roasted. There are many different ways of doing it, here are two:
- Grill the eggplant in your oven or on the barbecue grill. Keep turning occasionally till the entire skin on the eggplant is charred and the inner flesh looks really soft.
- Roast on the gas burner by placing the eggplant directly on the burner with a low flame. Keep turning till the skin on the eggplant is charred and the inner flesh looks really soft.
- Mash the Eggplant
- When the eggplant is roasted, let it cool off completely before peeling off and removing the charred eggplant skin. Now coarsely mash the flesh and keep aside for later use.
- Cook the Spices
- Put up a cooking pan on medium heat and add cooking oil to it. When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and wait till the spluttering stops. Now add the onions and fry till they become soft and pink.
- Add garlic and ginger and fry for 1 minute. After that add the tomato and all the powdered spices, along with the garam masala. Stir well so that all the spices get mixed together and cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle a little water if the spices get too dry.
- Add the mashed eggplant
- Now add the mashed eggplant in the cooking pan and mix well with the spices. To complete cooking one of the put chopped fresh coriander in it and stir. Cook for another minute and turn off the heat.