The decision about ERP implementation is a serious business judgment where mistake in ruling can lead a huge loss of time and money. Implementation of ERP softwares is a significant phase in any business and therefore requires a proper plan to be designed. It is fundamentally the stage when business imagines future growth and understands the vital importance of making an integrated corporate environment.
Therefore, it is very important to remember some things to avoid during implementation of ERP softwares that can lead to failure of project implementation. Given below is a list of things to avoid during implementation of ERP softwares:
1. Not explaining about the new system to users before starting the implementation: Communication with the users is the one thing that separates successful implementation of ERP softwares from the not-so-successful ones. There is nothing more probably powerful than user perception. If users decide the system does not work, it will not. So it is one of the things to avoid during implementation of ERP softwares.
2. Not load testing the ERP system with script and end users: It is also one thing that commonly leads to failure of implementation of ERP softwares. The most accurate way to load test an ERP system is with load testing software and scripts with actual users, so you should load testing the ERP system with script and end users.
3. Not performing a mock Go Live: Not performing a mock Go Live can also lead to failure of successful implementation of ERP software, so it is also one of the things to avoid during implementation of ERP softwares. A mock Go Live is the time when you realize whether the whole thing will go as planned beforehand and to capture then timings for all the different Go Live tasks. You should perform a mock Go Live before the actual Go Live.
4. Not taking change management and testing seriously: It is also one of the things to things to avoid during implementation of ERP softwares. You have to thoroughly be aware of the impact of the change and test every business process, even if it was running appropriately before the change.
5. Assigning an internal resource as the only project manager: Sometimes customers think that they can save money by eradicating the consultant project manager and doing it themselves. But, this is penny-wise and pound-foolish. For a success implementation you should take help of consultant project manager.
6. Giving improper training: At present, organizations are doing more business with fewer people. This means employees have to take more responsibilities than ever before. More responsibilities require more training and more work as well as less time to spend with their families. There for there is a requirement of adequate and proper training.
7. Not addressing security and archiving before upgrading: Not addressing security and archiving before upgrading is also one of the things to avoid during implementation of ERP softwares. If you archive prior to you upgrade, you will save time as well as money as the table alterations will run more rapidly. As for security, you should try follow the all doors closed model. Even it is not always practical, but you should at least make it a critical topic of discussion every time you upgrade, as no company wants a terminated employee or competitor with secret information.
All these are the things to during implementation of ERP softwares. You should take care of all these things at the time of ERP software implementation.
Read about Cost of ERP Ownership. Also know Top Ten ERP Software. Read about Factors for Successful ERP Implementation.