Yoga and meditation have been a crucial part of history. If you think yoga is about twisting and bending your body, then it's time to see it in a new light. In simpler form it is a combination of asanas, pranayamas, and meditation. Yoga and meditation are two important aspects that complement each other. Meditation is a crucial part of yoga sessions and one of its five principles; after-all being mentally fit is as important as being physically fit. Yoga without meditation is like cooking food but not eating it. So, it is necessary to meditate after every yoga session. They work together in achieving unity of body, mind, and soul - perfect state for eternal bliss.
Yoga and meditation have now become a way to life and today millions of Americans are enjoying their benefits. In-fact many red carpet celebs have switched to yoga for promoting mental, physical and emotional health that result in a happier life. Russell Brand, Jennifer Aniston, Megan Fox, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Gwyneth Paltrow, Michelle Williams, Adam Levine, Bethenny Frankel, Kelly Bensimon, Jenny McCarthy, and Matthew McConaughey are some of the celebrities doing yoga. Famous Brazilian supermodel Gisele Bundchen, shared in an interview with Vogue magazine that she regained her perfectly-sculpted body after birth through regular yoga practice. Read further to get more information on yoga and meditation:
Benefits of meditation
Meditation makes mind still and helps in perceiving 'self'. It helps in improving concentration in order to have a clearer mind and thought process. Meditation gives mental relaxation by detaching you from topsy-turvy thoughts, which leads to overall wellbeing. Well! Meditation can be achieved by relaxing, sitting quietly, and concentrating on one particular thought. Apart from mind, brain is also extraordinarily benefited through mediation resulting in sharpening of intellect, and it prevents psychological disorders. It helps in relieving conditions like stress, depression, pain, insomnia, anxiety and other emotional & mental issues. Moreover it is observed that people who regularly practice meditation are more innovative and active. Its benefit doesn't end here; meditation relieves people suffering from cardio vascular disorders as it helps in increasing blood circulation. Like exercise and healthy diet are food for body, meditation is food for soul and mind.
Benefits of Yoga
As Sri Sri Ravi Shankar said, "Health is not a mere absence of disease. It is a dynamic expression of life - in terms of how joyful, loving and enthusiastic you are." Yoga is a union of physical, mental, and spiritual well-being, which leads way to a healthy lifestyle. Practicing power yoga and ashtanga helps in improving muscle tone and strength. Yoga is the only technique that massages all internal organs and glands in an effective manner. It is popularly accepted for lowering blood pressure and slowing the heart rate. It also benefits other medical conditions like asthma, arthritis and back pain. Following are some more advantages of yoga -
Stress relief and inner peace of mind:
Practicing yoga daily is a great way of relieving stress and developing inner peace. It acts as a great stress buster to calm a disturbed mind and gives best of both worlds with healthy body and mind.
Lose weight and attain all round fitness:
Yoga keeps a balance between body, mind and soul. Some yoga poses like Kapalbhati Pranayama, Sun Salutations, Anulom Vilom, and others help in weight loss. You can do several asana that involves breathing skills for improving lung capacity. Almost all standing poses when practiced correctly helps in building strength of abdominal muscles. Through increased flexibility and strength, a better body posture can be easily attained.
Maintains energy level:
Yoga helps a lot when one feels completely drained out by end of a hectic day. It is an effective way to elevate your energy level. Combination of yoga and meditation helps in attaining a higher level of spirituality that infuses ample of positive energy in mind, body and soul.
Happy and contented mind deals calmly with any situation. It's a known fact that you can't keep others happy until or unless you are not feeling the same. Yoga helps in dispersing negative energies and thoughts, thereby leaving you optimistic and joyful. This directly affects your behavioral aspects, which improves relationships with your loved ones.
There's no doubt that health benefits provided by yoga are enormous yet it has some risks as well. If yoga asana are not performed in right way or under guidance it can be bad for health. Even certain poses can be of great risk if performed by anyone having stomach infections, severe osteoporosis, ear problems, spine problems, pregnancy, and more.
Here are some wonderful tips to reduce various risks and harmful effects of Yoga:
- Remember yoga is not a substitute of medical treatment; it is a part of it. So it's advisable to get proper treatment for all ailments.
- Start with the basics. Learn its basics carefully under guidance; practice them regularly before jumping onto some higher levels. Keep in mind you are not competing with any one and learn to maintain proper balance.
- Don't experiment yoga by your own. Body is not a thing and a slight mistake or wrong pose can create serious complications. Stop if you feel chest pain, overheated, or dizzy.
- Wear comfortable and airy yoga clothes that allow free movement of body. In conjunction, it's important to have right yoga mats, accessories, and other essentials. You can shop with Gaiam coupons, Yoga Accessories coupons, and more to find apt discounted yoga gear.
- If you are pregnant, consult a doctor before involving in yoga programs. Your fitness expert can also let you know which yoga postures are safe and beneficial for you.
- Injuries related to yoga are quite common like neck, knee and shoulder injuries. Some poses can cause injuries like Chaturanga can cause damage to elbows, shoulders and wrists. So, it is better to neglect such poses and seek help of a yoga practitioner. Proper warming up before every yoga session is essential, as it reduces chances of injury.
- Sometimes you feel dizzy, weak or suffer from fatigue. Means you are going through heat exhaustion and exerting more efforts on exercises. Following simple hero pose or child pose can be a great remedy. These are some of the poses that will recoup your energy.
- Stagnation and rigidity arise due to prolong practice of same yoga styles over and again. It's better to change yoga postures and try out some new ones after consulting a trainer to get rid of those repetitive movements.
- Each individual has his own perception before joining yoga training programs. Some people join with mindset of losing weight, to instill inner peace and few come with competition in mind. In such case one will over-exert body & mind to lead the race, which can be unsafe. Your purpose to join yoga fitness programs should be to learn and practice it slowly and firmly. Subscribe for Free membership with Yoga Today Coupons from CouponAlbum.com to experience a refreshing power flow.
- People suffering from serious problems in lumbar spine should avoid forward bending asanas. Various twisting asanas should be executed carefully under guidance or omitted by anyone with sever spinal problems.
- Unhealthy or week joints should not be over weighted or burdened. Asanas such as Surya Namaskar can be too much for someone with knee problems, and Sirshasana can badly affect somebody who has weak or injured cervical spine. Headstands and shoulder stands in yoga can be harmful for patients with advanced cervical spine disease.
- Long periods of meditation and Yoga Nidra are risky for people having severe mental problems such as schizophrenia or individuals disrupted after abuse of hallucinogenic and stimulant drugs or cannabis.
Yoga and meditation are important aspects of life that go hand in hand. By adopting these as a daily routine anyone can easily achieve a higher level of mental, spiritual, and mental wellbeing. There are several yoga meditation techniques which can be easily added to home fitness programs with little online guidance. Deeper you move into your yoga & mediation practice sessions, more profound are its benefits. Various advantages of yoga and meditation cannot be felt in a day or two; they can solely be gained through consistent practice and discipline of a daily yoga schedule. Start from today.