An important style of teaching adopted by international schools these days is collaborative education. This is a kind of method in which students team together to explore a concept or create a meaningful project. Collaborative learning also known as cooperative learning helps students to learn team work and appreciate each other’s point of view. In such sessions, students need to be responsible for their own work and the work of the group as a whole. The groups work face-to-face and learn to work as a team.
Some benefits of collaborative education are as follows –
• Collaborative study is the best means of getting students to work with different kinds of people. In these small-group interactions, students get the opportunity to think about and reply to the various responses fellow learners bring to the questions raised. The process also widens their perspective on their cultural differences and makes them more tolerant. This enhances their capacity to better understand other cultures and point of views.
• It is important that students at an early stage learn to acknowledge that every individual is different. This is learnt well through collaborative education. When questions are raised every student will have a different response. Students learn to take all the responses received and react accordingly.
• Interaction with a variety of people is the best way to develop interpersonal skills. Collaborative education helps students to learn to relate to their peers and other learners as they work together in groups. This enhances their social skills and helps them to build confidence. They can work on their communication skills, learn to ask the right questions and probe in better. They can benefit from structured interactions with others.
• Collaborative learning ensures every student contributes to the group. This makes sure there is active participation from everyone. Every student needs to take ownership of the task assigned to him and to think critically about related issues when they work as a team. He takes accountability for his own task and works towards team targets as well.
• With collaborative educations, students get the opportunity to play different roles. They learn to guide as a team leader and work as the member of the team. This helps them understand what role they are better at, leaders or team players.
• Such collaborative education sessions offer more opportunities for personal feedback. This is because there are several exchanges among students in small groups. They receive more personal feedback about their ideas and responses. This may not always be possible in large-group instruction, wherein mostly one or two students exchange ideas and the rest form the audience.
What are the benefits of collaborative learning