Advancement of information technology has created many new profiles for more specialized technicians. Since the changes are gradual and ongoing we can expect more and more advanced job profiles to get created in the coming days.
What is Cognos?
Cognos job is one such area defined for specialists with a set of special skills operations management jobs. Cognos was introduced by IBM. It is a business intelligence and performance management software ecosystem, comprising over three dozen software, which allows non-technical users to extract, analyze, and construct reports. Cognos 8 introduced in 2005 has been its flagship software suite in business performance analysis. It is designed on open standard so as to integrate with all leading vendors such as - Microsoft, NCR Teradata, SAP, Oracle etc.
Cognos facilitates reporting, analyzing, dash boarding, and score carding and delivered through web-based software-as-a-service solution. The latest Cognos 10 launched in 2010 was equipped to support mobile interface and can be accessed on smart phones and tablets. Cognos Express, a specially crafted suite of actual Cognos software ecosystem, is designed for mid-sized businesses.
Currently Cognos is being used by 23,000 companies worldwide. So you can fairly understand the huge demand for Cognos professionals in global context.
The following profiles are mostly sought by the Cognos professionals.
Cognos developer: Cognos developer must be a computer science graduate with knowledge in programming, business intelligence technology, reporting and data warehousing along with database management. Since Cognos directly interacts with the database knowledge in SQL will add value to your profile. To improve your employment opportunity you may obtain certification in latest Cognos release that is offered through Cognos training institute.
Responsibilities include working in collaboration with clients and his team in developing and deploying Cognos based applications to extract data from different data warehouses to help with reporting. The job profile may include programming and developing queries and occasionally interacting with other technical professionals to ensure smooth functioning of the interface.
The highlights are:
- Creating and deploying multidimensional reporting framework using Cognos interface.
- Maintaining and enhancing Framework Manager model to support and improve business performance.
- Working in tandem with end users in building, implementing and managing Cognos reporting through drilled-down and slice-and-dice options.
- Ensuring successful project delivery.
Cognos Administrator: The IBM Cognos certified administrators are responsible for administering the content and server of Cognos interface. Cognos developers can graduate to the role of administrator. The prerequisite are:
- Technical knowledge on various OS
- Good command over programming and SQL database
- Knowledge of web application server architecture
- Experience in security system administration
- Expertise in working in Windows interface and web browsers
- Certification in administrating Cognos 10 BI
- Team playing ability