Corruption can prompt an Excel file to behave in an unusual manner and throw various error messages. If you get an error message which states that the Excel file is read-only, there could be two possible reasons behind it: read-only attribute or corruption. If an Excel file is stored on a network with a read-only attribute, it suggests that you need to have proper permissions to access or modify it. If a file in question is not saved with read-only attribute and you are still receiving an error message, this indicates that the file is damaged. To access information from a corrupt Excel file, you might have to implement corrective measures, as suggested by Microsoft. If you have a clean and updated backup copy of the affected Excel file, then you need not worry about anything. But, if you do not have a valid backup and repair methods fail to extract information, the only way out is using a professional Excel repair software.
Consider a scenario, wherein, you have an Excel 2003 workbook, saved on a mapped drive, containing information regarding sales profits in the current year. When you try and open the file to modify some records, you are unable to do so and receive the following error message:
"'path\filename.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding."
Runtime error 1004: Cannot access path\filename
You cannot open the Excel file in the following conditions:
• If the file has been saved as read-only, and you do not have the necessary permissions
• If the Excel file in question is corrupt. Corruption can occur due to a variety of reasons including unexpected power failure, application malfunction, network problems and others. For corrupt files, you must consider the appropriate Excel file repair steps, described in the 'Resolution' section.
The problem with the Excel file can be resolved by observing the following steps:
• Go to the location where the Excel file is saved. Right-click it, go to Properties, and check if it is read-only or not. If it is read-only, acquire the permission rights.
• For performing primary recovery of the Excel file, you can use the Open and Repair option
• You can try and open the Excel file in other applications like MS Word. You might recover some part of the text
• However, for better and instant recovery results you must use a third-party Excel repair software
One of the most trusted repair applications for Excel files is Stellar Excel Repair . This application repairs XLS or XLSX files created with MS Excel 2007, 2003, 2002 and 2000 versions. This Excel file repair application assists you in recovering all elements included in a presentation (charts, tables, graphs etc), regardless of the reasons behind corruption.
Fixing Excel 2003 error: path\filename.xls