Java is a programming language used in building applications. It’s a class-based, object oriented programming language which functions on “write one time, run anywhere principle”. The java coding once done can run on any platform and don’t require recompilation. It is currently the most popular programming language and therefore, one can fairly guess the demand that Java professionals enjoy.
Java was first introduced by Sun Microsystem in 1995. It was developed to run most independently with few implementation dependencies. Java has adopted most of its syntax from C and C++, which are often regarded as basics of programming language.
Java professionals mostly work as Java developers developing front end applications for users. They create and offer supports to web-based applications, web services and web interfaces. The job profile of a Java developer includes:
- Designing server side components
- Designing and developing user interface using methodologies and tools
- Integrating between applications and creating database architecture
- Undertaking detailed technical designing
- Developing, testing, deploying and maintaining java applications
- Understanding of business process to develop applications
- Collaborating and coordinating with cross-functional teams
- Developing product applications adhering to business understanding and standards
- Ensuring the project completes within deadline with minimum errors
- Creating multimedia applications using different tools
- Offering user support solutions
- Participating in team meetings and brain storming sessions
The java developer must be a graduate in computer science with certification course done on Java programming. Sun Microsystem conducts Java certification program worldwide in collaboration with certified sister organizations to impart education to Java professionals. This certification course is essential in furthering in career as a Java developer.
The skills and educational qualification required for Java developers are as follows:
- Knowledge of Java programming language
- Knowledge on Java Applets
- Expertise in web programming
- Knowledge of Web User Interface Designing
- Experience in software development
- Object-Oriented Design (OOD)
- Multimedia content development
- Software debugging
Apart from technical knowledge the developer must also possess:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Trouble shooting abilities
- Team playing and project management experience
Knowledge on latest programming tools and updates are essential to advance in your career and therefore Java developers must enroll to continuous education program.
Java developers can find employment with top and mid-sized IT companies along with in organizations aiming at developing their own Java based web application suite. They may also apply for AOD jobs if the requirements match their profile.
As both entertainment applications and enterprise applications are becoming more popular the demand for qualified Java developers are also on a rise. They enjoy high demand and therefore high pay package in the market. Java developers with experience and knowledge can move up the career ladder to the position of senior Java developers and project managers.