Fiber optic cable is most widely used cable nowadays in every field (medical, networking, engineering, telecommunication, cable-television industry). Thus in order to have smoothed flowing of data and communication in each of the field, fiber cable is needed to be tested once they are installed and terminated.
However, for fiber optic inspection an expert technician is required who would have thorough knowledge about the cable, as well as about the equipment’s used for testing. Though testing can be performed by a layman also but their way of testing would differ from those of technicians. This is because a layman would prefer using OTDR (optical time domain reflector) testing equipment, which is the simplest way of testing to locate the faults, breaks and optical return loss. Whereas on other hand, if testing is done by expert technicians or by network users they would be interested in testing the system thoroughly with the help of various equipment’s rather than just using OTDR.
So, as being a layman if you want to gain knowledge about fiber optic testing then mentioned below are 3 important aspects covered under it:
- Have right tools for testing: The first and foremost thing required for testing fiber cables is appropriate tools. In market, one can find number of testing tools kits like:
- Traditional Epoxy and Polish Connector Termination Tool Kit
- Fusion Splicing Tool Kit
- Quick Termination Connector Tool Kit
- Optical Cleaning Tool Kit
- Fiber Optic Testing Tool Kit
Furthermore, these tool kits comprises of various equipment’s like:
- Power meter: It is used to measure power in an optical signal
- Cleaning materials: Lint free wipes, air spray, pure alcohol are being used to clean the fiber cables, if any dust accumulate
- Visual fault locator: A pen device that detects break, crack or bend in the cable
- Reference test cables: Same matching cables as that of fiber cables, which are attached to the adapter to check the loss of fiber itself
- OTDR: This equipment is the most easiest way of diagnosis of the cable problems
- Knowledge about fiber optic testing equipments: Just buying of testing equipment’s is not enough to detect the faults in fiber cable. One needs to have through knowledge about the equipment’s, as well as about their working. This would help save one’s time and money in cases when cables get damaged and there would be an immediate need for a technician.
- Knowledge of network that is being tested: Before starting with the testing procedure one needs to make sure that they are testing the right cable. As fiber testing equipment’s are only used to test fiber cables, instead of other cables.
For more information, log on to www.aefos.com/