Are you repeatedly facing problems in opening a database file in QuickBooks? If yes, then there may be serious issues with your QuickBooks database, which can even make the database very vulnerable to data loss. As the QuickBooks database contains critical financial data, losing it would definitely jeopardize the situation. In such cases, you should try to find the exact cause to recover corrupt QuickBooks file. If none of your tried methods succeed, then you should use a third-party QuickBooks repair tool to do the needful.
For example, consider a case when you are trying to open a company file in QuickBooks 2009 but fail to do so. The following error message is displayed:
“(-6000,-816): QuickBooks was unable to open the file because the file is in use. Another person may be in the process of opening this file.”
Such problems while opening a company file can happen because of the following reasons:
• QuickBooks may be having conflicts with the Auto-Protect Scanning feature of Symantec Endpoint Protection
• Either the file is in use by another application
• Or file is corrupt
• You have installed a third-party backup application that creates backup of files while they are open by some application.
For these mentioned reasons, you should perform the following methods to address the situation:
• Contact Symantec: You should contact Symantec about how to set the preferences to disable Auto-Protect Scanning feature.
• Repair QuickBooks file: You should perform the following steps to repair corrupt QuickBooks file:
◦ Restart your system.
◦ Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server and make sure that the company files shared folder is displayed in the following applet:
"Folders that contain QuickBooks company files"
◦ Copy-paste the file from the server to your system.
◦ Now, open it in your system.
◦ Close the file and copy to the same folder in the server by renaming the file.
◦ Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server and scan the renamed file .
◦ Now, open the file on the server from your system. It should open perfectly now.
However, there are instances when the aforementioned methods do not help in performing QuickBooks file recovery. I would recommend you to use a third-party Intuit recovery software to recover QuickBooks database. These tools possess highly interactive user interface that make Intuit repair very easy to perform.
Recovering QuickBooks database