RFID tags are used widely today, so here comes a question--how can we choose the right battery for them? Normally, there are three kinds of batteries, Lithium manganese dioxide button cell (CR button battery), Lithium-Manganese card battery wrapped with soft aluminium foil (CP battery), and ultrathin battery. After being acquainted with their characters, you can know how to choose according to your products' requirement.
CR button batteries
These kind of batteries are popularly used in RFID system manufacturers for its advantage in price. So if you have no requirement in thickness as well as in high pulse current, and you don't need them to work for more than 2 years, CR button battery shall be your best choice.
Reasons are as follows:
- The prices range from 0.5 RMB~3 RMB according to different capacities and can help saving your products' costs.
- They can release 65%~70% of their nominal capacities in case of small current discharge, so their working life should be 2.5 years~3 years. Even if the batteries' nominal capacity has reached your requirement of working time, they will run out 2 or 3 years later.
- Here, we can have a high temperature of 65℃ and high humidity of relative humidity-90% test to demonstrate the batteries' quality.
If a high pulse current, or working time must be longer than 3 years and high safety performance is required, then the CP battery should be of your choice.
Reasons are as follows:
- It uses soft aluminium foil in structures, that greatly reduces the probability of explosion, fire.
- Different shapes and sizes can be designed to meet your individual requirements.
- Laminated electrodes structure to accept higher discharge current, even up to 3C.
- Low self-discharge rate insures a storage life of 8 years.
- Working temperature: -40℃~75℃
- Can be 40% lighter than a button battery of the same capacity.
- Can be 10% higher than a button battery of the same volume.
- Can be 15% smaller than a button battery of the same capacity.
In view of the above advantages, CP batteries should be the ideal power source of RFID tags.
There are three kinds of Ultrathin batteries, 3.0V CP battery as mentioned above, 3.7V lithium-polymer battery, and 1.5V Zn-Mn Battery.
Comparisons are as follows:
- CP battery's capacity is 2.5 times higher than a Lithium-Polymer battery with the same volume. Its working life can be up to 5 years or longer.
- Li-Po can be charged though it has low capacity.
- For the energy-to-weight ratio, CP battery is the highest, Li-Po is the lowest.
In conclusion, CR button battery is the most economical, but you have to make a choice according to your RFID tags' technical requirement. Any question, please contact our engineer Tel: 86-20-34729558, www.batteryfromchina.com.