It's a difficult task to align text in a Word document by using tabs and spaces. To let you organize data in an easy-to-read format, Word has a provision of creating tables. Complex information can be presented in nicely done tables which contain a collection of various rows and columns. But, at times, inserting information in a table can be a jolting task. You might run into several error messages or encounter problems related to missing text, unformatted text etc. Such symptoms clearly suggest that the table you are working with is damaged or corrupt. Table corruption can also lead to document corruption and create serious data loss problems. You can surpass such situations if you have a healthy backup copy of the affected document with you. However, if no backup copy is present, you must try and use Word repair software.
Consider a scenario, wherein, you have a Word 2002 document which contains a complex table along with graphics. When you try and insert a text in the table or do some other task, the document might start to flicker or appear to be repaginating. Additionally, you might also encounter the following error message:
"A table in this document has become corrupted. To recover the contents of the table: select the table and choose Convert Table to Text from the Table menu."
The following causes can be taken into account for the above error message and abrupt behavior by the Word document in question:
• If you have created a table in an earlier version of MS word and inserted it into Word 2002 document
• Or if the table is actually corrupt and has lead to document corruption
To ensure Word recovery, you must follow the below-mentioned steps:
• Obtain the latest service pack of Windows XP i.e. Office XP Service Pack 3
• You can try and repair the affected Word document by observing the following steps:
1. Use 'Open and Repair' feature
2. Try saving the affected doc in Rich Text Format and then converting it back to Word
3. If the above steps do not work, grab a professional tool meant to perform Word repair in an effective manner.
How to address table corruption in Word 2002