Lot many times, you must have faced the torture when you are unable to extract the ZIP files because of corruption during downloading them. This problem is often caused due to the 'noise' created due to improper network connections. In such cases, you should try to again create the ZIP file. However, if you have not created the ZIP file as somebody may have sent it across, then I would recommend using a third-party ZIP repair software to repair ZIP file.
Let us consider an example in which you have downloaded few photographs from a file sharing website that one of your friends has uploaded. When you try to extract the images from the ZIP file, it fails to do so. An error message is getting displayed in this regard, which is:
“WinZip Self-Extractor Zip file is damaged, truncated, or has been changed since it was created. If you downloaded this file, try downloading again.”
It is quite possible that the ZIP file is damaged. It may have happened during uploading or downloading the ZIP file to/from the file sharing site.
In such cases, you should try to run the 'chkdsk' utility to scan the system for disk-related errors and repair them, if any. This can be done by using the following steps:
• Open 'My Computer' by double-clicking on the 'My Computer' icon on the desktop.
• Right-click the drive in which the ZIP file is present, and click the 'Properties' option in the context menu.
• Click the 'Check Now' button in the Tools section.
• Select all the hard disks from the option.
• Select the 'Automatically fix file system errors' check box. This will enable the 'chkdsk' utility to fix the errors itself.
• Click the 'Start' button to scan the system.
• Once the scanning is finished, you should download the ZIP file from the website again.
• Now, try to extract the ZIP file. It should work fine now.
However, if the problem still persists and you are unable to extract the ZIP file, it means that the ZIP file is already damaged before you downloaded it. In such cases, you should use a third-party ZIP repair software to repair ZIP file. The best characteristic of these ZIP recovery tools is that the original ZIP file is not modified during the repair proces.
How to repair when ZIP file is damaged