Are you using QuickBooks as the accounting software in your organization? And are you unable to open a QuickBooks file? If yes, then there must be some incorrect settings that are causing this issue. Check the preferences and see if it works fine. If nothing works out, then the QBW file must be damaged. But there are certain repair methods that could be used to repair the QBW file. Even if you do not get any respite from the corrupt QuickBooks file, then you should use a professional QBW recovery software.
Imagine a practical scenario wherein you are getting the following error message while opening a company file in QuickBooks 2008:
“Unexpected Error: An error has occurred in QuickBooks. Please restart QuickBooks and try again. If you continue to experience this error, please note the C= value and contact technical support. C=342”
- The most possible causes of this error message are:
- The company data file (.QBW) file is damaged or corrupt quickbooks file .
- The shortcut for QuickBooks application (QBW32.EXE) is referring to MS Windows compatibility mode.
- To overcome this problem, you should perform the following methods:
- Disable the compatibility mode for Windows desktop: You can disable the compatibility mode for Windows desktop by using the following steps:
- Right-click the QuickBooks shortcut on the desktop.
- Click 'Properties'.
- Select the 'Compatibility' tab.
- Clear the selected 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and click OK.
- Now, try opening the file.
Create a QuickBooks sample file: You should try to open/create a Company sample file. If this file opens properly, that means the QBW file is corrupt or damaged. To do this, you need to perform the following steps:
- Open QuickBooks application. Hold the Ctrl key when QuickBooks is opening.
- Release the Ctrl key when the 'No Company Open' window is displayed.
- In this window, click the 'Open a sample file' option to select any displayed sample file from the list.
If the file opens without any problems, that means the company file is corrupt. For such problems, you can use the following utilities:
- Use Verify Data utility: This tool is used to verify and detect data damage in the QBW file.
- Use Rebuild Data utility: This tool is used to repair the damage in the QBW file.
If the QuickBooks file is still not opening, then it may be possible that the file is severely damaged that cannot be repaired using the QuickBooks in-built repair tools. For such situations, the most trusted option is to use a third-party QuickBooks file recovery software. The reason behind this is that these QuickBooks repair tools are extremely safe to use that do not modify existing files.