Popularly known as the ‘Meadow of Flowers’ is a beautiful hill station located in the Baramula district of Jammu and Kashmir. It was formerly known as Gaurimarg where Gauri stands for Goddess Parvati the wife of Lord Shiva. Gulmarg has an altitude of altitude of 2730 m. With its lush green backdrop, beautiful landscapes, flowering gardens, serene lakes Gulmarg has emerged as a popular tourist attraction.
Places of Interest
1. Gulmarg Gondola - Designed in technical collaboration with a French Company PUMA, and managed by the Jammu and Kashmir Cable Car Corporation it is a major tourist attraction. It is the only cable car system in Asia that travels up an elevation of 13,500 ft above sea level. It has beautiful Himalayan Peaks of the Gondola village in the background. The Gondola travels from Gulmarg to Kongdoor and from Kongdoor to Apharwat.
2. Alpathar Lake - This is a triangular lake located at the foot of the Apharwat peaks 13kms from Gulmarg. It is located beyond Khailanmarg and remains frozen till middle of June. The lake has a backdrop of scenic hilly snow-capped mountain ranges.
3. Avantiswami Temple - The temple was built by King Awantivarman in the 9th century in Avantipur. It comprises of two temples – Avantiswami Temple and Shiva Temple. The older and larger Avantiswami temple is completely in ruins whereas the latter has been renovated and used for daily prayers. The temple is built of sandstone and has a Greek architectural style.
4. Gulmarg Biosphere Reserves - You will find here a wide variety of flora and fauna. It preserves endangered wildlife species like leopards, red foxes, serow, and musk deer. The various species of flora include cedrus deodara, pinus griffithii, aesculus indica, and abies pindrow.
5. Drung - Drung is a developing resort where the downhill road from Tangmarg reaches the Ferozepore stream. It has a beautiful sparkling stream flowing towards Gulmarg. One can enjoy here activities like trout fishing and rock climbing. It has developed as a popular picnic spot.
6. Palhalan - Situated 42kms from Gulmarg is Palhalan in the district of Baramulla. The village has been witness to many sacrifices in the Kashmir’s struggle for independence.
7. Magam - Located 18kms from Gulmarg in the district of Budgam is situated Magam. Situated on Srinagar Gulmarg Road it has 60% Shia Muslim population and has the largest district in Budgam district. You will find here Idara Abul Fazal Abbas Islamic Library which was established in 1985 which comprises of a large collection of Islamic books, literature, CD and audio cassettes.
Hence we can conclude that visiting the above mentioned tourist places will be an enjoyable and delightful experience for honeymooners.
Gulmarg Honeymoon Packages And Popular Tourist Attractions