CopyPastehas never been so tasty!

Buyer Beware: Not All Koa Is The Same

by MartinAndMacArthur

  • 0
  • 0
  • 0

Koa is one of the most popular woods on the market today, commanding high prices for Koa furniture , home accessories, and jewelry.

Koa was originally reserved for use by the Hawaiian monarchy, but later was adopted by early Hawaiians as the wood of choice for everything from canoes to weapons to serving bowls.

Other woods like monkey pod, kamani, eucalyptus, milo, or kou have their supporters, Wood wathes , but Koa is the most prestigious wood of Hawaii.

But, buyers should beware. Not all Koa is of the same quality. There are lots of imposters scamming woods grown elsewhere for authentic Koa. Koa belongs to a broader classification of trees called acacia. However, the species Koa is endemic to Hawaii. It only grows in Hawaii.

The most highly-prized and highly-priced Koa has a deep rich curl, which runs perpendicular to the grain. Curly Koa has a fluttering wavy pattern on the wood catches the light in different ways, giving curly Koa its lustrous appeal.

However, only 10% of all Koa harvested is curl Koa. The other 90% of Koa is merely termed “select” which is a lower grade of Koa that is one-fifth the price of curly Koa.

Buyers should only buy Koa furniture and accessories from reputable craftsmen, who have a long history of using curly Koa for brilliant pieces. Some ukulele companies are famous for using high quality Koa. The most reputable company making Koa jewelry and accessories in Hawaii is Martin & MacArthur. This company has been making fine Koa furniture longer than any other in the history of Hawaii. The skilled craftsmen at Martin & MacArthur choose only the finest curly Koa, and leave the rest for everyone else.

Martin & MacArthur has been recognized as “the fine furniture maker of ‘Iolani Palace.” This honor is bestowed only to Martin & MacArthur.

Akamai, or smart, buyers know that not all Koa is the same. Buy only from reputable craftsmen.

Author Bio:

Local-born Michael Tam, returned to Hawaii with an accomplished track record leading global companies with a strategic marketing focus. In 2008, Tam became the majority owner, CEO, and President of Martin & MacArthur, the premiere Koa furniture maker and retailer in Hawaii for fifty years. Also make personal accessories such as Kao wood watches ,jewelry,rings.

Tam is responsible for leading Martin & MacArthur to achieve sustainable, profitable, and long term growth. He has created meaningful connections within the community in support of the Hawaiian heritage and local artisans in Hawaii.

In the past three, Martin & MacArthur has opened nine new stores, including its first stores on the Big Island and Kauai. A distinctive retail store base is being created, focused on the finest home furnishings and personal accessories made in Hawaii for the gracious Hawaiian living. The Hawaiian furniture store have koa furniture & rocking chair. They Also make personal accessories such jewelry, jewelry boxes, wood watches .

By the time Tam returned to Hawaii, he had accumulated extensive executive experience with global companies that included Nordstrom, Starbucks, Borders, McDonalds, and American Eagle Outfitters. His career is marked with success in creating corporate business strategies; developing new brands; reposition existing brands; introducing brands into global and domestic markets

After graduating with a Master of Management degree in marketing and finance at the Kellogg School of Business, Northwestern University, he joined Leo Burnett as senior media planner for Procter & Gamble and was International Vice President responsible for McDonald’s Corporation.

Add A Comment: