Computer logon screen is the first screen with which a person interacts with computer after booting. It generally contains Computer user name, a text box to enter password, password hint and option Ease of access like virtual keyboard. It is designed with austerity so that even a non technical person could understand and use it. But you can modify the background image, button text as well as it looks by putting little efforts. In this article I will let you know how you can customize logon screen in Windows operating system. You have to follow the steps given below to make desired changes:
- Click on the Start button and type regedit in the Start Search Box then press Enter key.
- Your computer will show the search results and select Registry Editor from the search results. In the left pane of Registry Editor Window select Authentication which will result in a list of options out of which you have to open LogonUI.
- Then find the key: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background”and in the right pane of window modify OEMBackground value 0 to 1.
- Now move to the location “c:\Windows\System32\oobe” and create a new folder with name “info”.
- Make a right click on info folder and create a new folder with name “Backgrounds”.
- Now move the desired wallpaper to this location “c:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds”. But the desired wallpaper must follow these specified rules:
- The wallpaper must be named as “backgroundDefault”.
- The image file format must be .jpg.
- The size of wallpaper must be less than 256 KB.
- That’s it, from now when you switch on your computer will show desired image. You can even modify the size of image according to your need. If the image resolution requested by the user can’t be fulfilled by the computer then the image is stretched-to-fit and displayed on your logon screen. If the image uploaded by user violates any of the constraints then the computer will display default image form imageres.dll file. Even you can set Logon screen image size by specifying size in the image file name like: “background400x600.jpg”.
- For editing the button text on the Logon screen by making changes in the concerned registry. Open LogonUI through the following path ““HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI” .
- In the right pane of window create a new DWORD value Button Set. The list of values for Button Set with their functionalities are :
- 0: Lighter text shadows, darker (more opaque) Buttons (Windows Default)
- 1: Darker text shadows lighter (more translucent) buttons (for lighter background).
- 2: No text shadows, opaque buttons (for darker backgrounds).
Thus by making the above mentioned changes you can make desired changes on the logon screen. I have tried these steps on my own computer and they all work flawlessly. If you have any query regarding the procedure or you want to know solution of any computer problem then you can contact on toll free number 1-855-352-1816 or visit Impcsupport website. You can also use third party computer maintenance tools for enhancing the speed and performance of your computer. You can also use online technical support provided by some of the well renowned companies to resolve computer problems.
Computer Logon screen is the first interaction of user with a computer. It generally contains Computer user name, a text box to enter password, password hint and option for ease of access like virtual keyboard. By using the above mentioned process you can modify background image, button text etc.