Both progesterone and DHEA can be converted to androstenedione, which is a precursor of testosterone. When progesterone and DHEA are running low, the testosterone level can drop sharply even at the age of 30 years old. The following factors can contribute to the low testosterone, which become problems even in men in their twenties.
1. Stress: Research indicates that stress can lower testosterone levels temporarily because of lowered progesterone, causing functional impotence. This effect is reversible, but if stress continues for too long, the testicles will eventually loose its function.
2. Medications:Certain medications, such as those that treat high blood pressure, anxiety, and depression (including the tricyclics and the monoamine oxidase inhibitors) have been implicated in erectile dysfunction, decreased libido, and impaired ejaculation. Calcium channel blockers and acetylcholine esterase inhibitors cause a low incidence of erectile dysfunction. Although most high blood pressure medications have been associated with some kind of erectile impairment, diuretics seem to have little effect on erectile function. High blood pressure medications, which target the sympathetic nervous system, seldom cause impotence but may trigger retrograde ejaculation because they may relax the smooth muscles around the urethra and the bladder neck. Therefore, if one kind of blood pressure pill causes temporary impotence, you should try another kind.Generally, erectile dysfunction due to drugs that contain selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors should resolve after discontinuing the medications. However, in the 2008 issue of the Journal of Sex Medicine, Dr. Csoka et al. at the University of Pittsburgh reported three cases in which sexual dysfunctions such as low libido, theinability to achieve orgasm, the loss of sensation in the genital area, and erectile dysfunction did not return to normal after the patients stopped taking selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
3. Diabetes: High blood sugar damages the blood vessel and nerves around penis and cause poor circulation and abnormal nerve reflexes.
4. Alcohol: Estradiol is formed either from testosterone or from
androstenedione via estrone by an enzyme called aromatase. Alcohol can enhance the function of aromatase, so if a men drink too much alcohol, more and more of his testosterone can be converted into estradiol. That is why alcoholic loose their muscles and build their breast.
5. Poor diet: Healthy nerves are the most important for the normal erectile function and lack of Vitamins and minerals due to poor diet can cause neuropathy and impotence.
6. Aging: After 40 to 50 years old, testosterone normally can decrease 1% every year. But for an unhealthy men, the process can accelerate, leading sharp decrease of testosterone level, thus impotence, depression and anxiety.
7. Exercises: the more muscles you build, the higher-level testosterone a men can have.
Low level of testosterone and erectile dysfunction