Once upon a time salads were just a side dish, today some salads make the main course of a meal. Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad is one such salad that makes a very healthy and tasty main course.
To cook this healthy chicken salad please make a note of the ingredients that are required.
For Grilled Croutons and Romaine Lettuce
- 1 baguette
- Grated Parmesan, a few tablespoons
- Olive oil (use only extra-virgin olive oil for this healthy chicken salad)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 hearts of romaine, cut lengthwise
- Ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, halved
- For Caesar Aspic
- 1 whole chicken, cut in quarter
- 3 boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 big carrot, peeled and halved
- 1 onion, cut in half
- 2 envelopes of powdered gelatin
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/4th cup grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- For Caesar Aspic
- To prepare the aspic for this healthy chicken salad put the chicken, carrot, celery, bay leaves, and onion and water in a large cooking pan and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and let it cook for 6 hours. After its cooked, strain and keep the chicken and the broth. With the use of a thong remove the meat from the chicken and keep aside.
- Take 1 cup of the broth and put it in a baking dish (8/8/2 inch in size). Now add gelatin and allow it to set for 5 minutes.
- Take 3 cups of broth and simmer in a cooking pan. Add this stock to the baking dish and mix gently to dissolve the gelatin.
- Finally add the chicken meat, eggs, garlic, Parmesan, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, parsley and red pepper flakes to this broth and gelatin mixture.
- Let this chill for 8 hours. Take out the aspic by putting the baking dish in warm water, and placing a chilled baking sheet on top, then turn it up side down. Cut the aspic into small cubes and refrigerate till it is ready for use.
- For Grilled Croutons and Romaine Lettuce
- Cut the baguette thinly on the bias to get eight 1/8-inch-thick slices. Put the bread slices in a big bowl and add a few drizzles of olive oil, now toss the slices so that the oil gets mixed with it, now add a few pinches of grated Parmesan and minced garlic. Keep aside for using later.
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper to these romaine pieces. Now grill these romaine pieces for 4 minutes on each side till the inside is properly cooked and crispy. Now grill the bread slices until toasted on each side.
- Season the romaine and croutons with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and a dash of lemon juice.
- Finally, slice the romaine and serve with 2 croutons and 2 cubes of aspic, your is ready.