It is an effective step towards the measurement of the environmental performance of the buildings. With increasing costs towards operations of a building and an unpredictable economy, it is imperative to cut costs such as energy, water and waste to increase the profitability of an organisation. It highlights the areas which require improvement and how to go about achieving it, in tandem with the corporate social responsibility. The other reason it is gaining popularity is that it has standard and user friendly assessment methodology which helps to better the sustainability of the buildings. BREEAM in Use schemes also integrates Energy Performance Certificates and Display Energy Certificates.
BREEAM In-Use aims to:
- Increases the value and marketability of property assets
- Helps in compliance with environmental legislation and standards, including energy labelling and ISO 14001
- Helps to identify the scope for improvement in productivity
- Aids in engagement with employees towards sustainable business practices
- Works towards improving Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
- Provide genuine evidence of sustainability
- Provides transparency in negotiations for buildings improvements with occupiers and landlords
For the buildings being refurbished to get through the stringent Building regulations, BREEAM in use helps to bridge the gap between what should be achieved and the current operational performance of the building. In case of new buildings it aids in better planning and management of the buildings.