Wooden floor is one of the most beautiful and robust types of flooring options available in the market these days. The greatest advantage of wooden floor is that they are durable enough and hence lasts longer than any other flooring options available in today’s market. Hardwood floors especially develop a beautiful patina with age, but these types of floors require frequent repairs. You should know how to maintain your hardwood floors and care for them appropriately so that they look well and last long.
Here are some tips to help you keep your wooden floor beautiful:
- Vacuuming frequently is often the best way to keep your wooden floor spotless and sparkling. Avoid using the vacuums with beater bars or hard heads as they may damage the floor to a great extent.
- Sponge cleaning seems to work great on the wooden floor, though you probably cannot do it very often. At least once a month, get down on your hands and knees and use a damp sponge to scrub your wooden floor thoroughly. But the sponge should not be too wet as the moisture harms the wood of the floor.
- Use the best wood floor cleaning products suitable for your floor. It is best if you consult with a professional, particularly the floor installers to know which products are most suitable to maintain the life of a wooden floor. If that is not possible, you can visit the floor cleaning section of the major department stores to see which products are the most popular. Or else a quick search on the internet will also inform you about the different kinds of products that you can use. Avoid using detergents or abrasive cleaning agents as they damage the floor.
- Too vigorous cleaning may harm your hardwood floor. Hence you need to take certain preventive measures to maintain the beauty of your floor. Do not let water accumulate anywhere on the floor as this will damage it.
- You should install runners or rugs in the high traffic area of your hardwood floor. This is especially needed if you have a pet which is likely to scratch the floor.
- In order to protect your floor from grime, dirt and dust, you need to place mats on the strategic points so that they are not trailed in. These mats or rugs should be made of breathable material. On the other hand, mats of rubber, plastic or foam back trap grime under them. They also trap moisture and damage your floor.
- Replace the narrow rollers on the legs of the furniture with wide rubber rollers. Avoid dragging furniture across your wooden floor.
- If it is possible, ask people to take off their footwear while entering the area of the wooden floor. This will ensure that your floor remains clean and lasts longer.
With the few precautions outlined above, you can enjoy a beautiful and polished floor for the rest of your life.