Basement is usually below the floor either partially or fully. It is a very useful part of a building or house. As every house or building needs a foundation, a strong basement will in return give a strong and stable house. It can be made architecturally to be a residential area or a storing area of some or all of the occasionally usable items such as boiler, water heater, electrical distribution system, breaker panel or fuse box, and air-conditioning system. It can also be very well used as a car or other vehicle parking space saving a lot of other usable land.
One important thing to be kept in mind while making a basement is to be innovative and inventive. A thorough survey of the area should be done to look for options which can keep the basement ventilated and natural air and sunlight should also be reachable there. It will prevent the basement from all kinds of calamities.
Water is the most disastrous bane of any basement. In fact it is such a problem which makes most of the people to drop the idea of basement rather than having a wet/damp basement. There are numerous reasons which contribute to moisture in the basements like:
• The type of construction and insulation in the building plays a key role in dampness
• As already said, ventilation is a must in the basement and a lack of this will definitely provoke dampness
• Poor drainage around the foundation of a building will itself invite dampness in the basement
• A high water table also plays its role in damping the basement
• Humid climate, harsh weather as well as flooding is all natural calamity which are not preventable but there are numerous ways to control them.
In fact when the humidity content inside our house goes above 50% it simultaneously raises the moisture which can damage the basement as well as your house.
Now whenever there is a problem, there is also some solution for it. So to combat this problem the very first advice to everyone is to look for the root cause of the moisture. In fact, the best approach is always to either eliminate or control the source of the moisture, rather than just relying on dehumidifiers.
Sometimes there are some obvious reasons that make us understand the cause of dampness in the basement like floods or hurricanes but contrary to this, most of the times it is difficult to understand the exact reason of dampness as soon as it arises. In a situation like this, first do the things that are easy and low cost. Moving forward, if the problem still does not eliminate then move to solutions which are most likely to give positive results.
• Dehumidifiers can be used for temporarily reducing the humidity and odor in the basement.
• A membrane or coating on the inside can also prove to be effective.
• Fixing the drainage or leakage can also give some good results.
Basement Moisture Control