A boot loader program in the Windows system is used to start the computer by loading the main program in the operating system. There are several third-party applications like GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) as well that you can use to perform the same task with some advanced features. However, at times you may face some system startup issues because of incompatibility with these applications. In such cases, you should take appropriate steps to sort out the issue. If you are unable to do so, then you should use a third-party data recovery tools to do the needful.
Let us consider a situation in which you have a Windows XP system with which you have unsuccessfully tried to install Windows Vista to make it dual-boot. After doing this, you start Windows XP but it does not start displaying a black screen and a blinking underscore.
Please note that this issue may appear if you are using a third-party boot manager program.
The root cause for this problem is that the Windows Vista Setup program does not restore the third-party boot manage program.
As a workaround for this problem, you should write a new boot sector to the system partition using the Recovery Console. To do this, you should use the following steps:
You should modify the booting preferences so that you can start the system using a Boot CD.
* Insert the Windows XP CD and start the computer.
* Press R to enter Recovery Console when the 'Welcome to Setup' screen appears.
* Select the Windows XP installation that you want to repair.
* Type 'fixboot' and press Enter.
* Type 'Y' and press Enter to confirm that you want to write a new boot sector to the active partition. After doing this, the following message appears on the screen:
* The new bootsector was successfully written.
* Type 'exit' and press Enter to exit the Recovery Console.
* Restart the system and finish the Windows Vista upgrade operation.
* Reinstall the third-party boot manager program.
If the issue is not resolved and you are unable to start the system, then you should use a third-party data recovery utility to recover the inaccessible data. Such highly interactive data recovery tools are read-only in nature that do not damage the existing data on the hard disk.
The best data recovery software that enables you to recover lost, deleted, or formatted data is Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery. With the ability to work for FAT, NTFS, and exFAT file systems, this RAID data recovery software supports several storage media such as hard drives, iPods, memory cards, etc. In addition, this file data recovery software is compatible with Windows 7, Vista, Server 2003, XP, 2000, and NT4(SP6) versions.
How to recover trapped data from inaccessible Windows XP