CopyPastehas never been so tasty!

Chill Out With Groth Sauvignon Blanc 2009

by barrelsandstills

  • 0
  • 0
  • 0

With the hot weather upon us, it’s the right time of the year to savour white wines and what could be better than  2009,Groth Sauvignon Blanc even more so if shellfish, scallops, whitefish or chicken is on menu! 

The secret of its great taste lies in whole cluster press of the Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon which lends it softness and fruitiness otherwise not possible. To retain this fruitiness, unique flavour and aroma, 30% of the blend is fermented and aged in stainless steel while the remaining 70% juices are consigned to long and cool fermentation in oak barrels. There 4 to 5 years old barrels are completely inert where the wines are fermented to dryness in about a fortnight and then allowed to age “sur lie” for 5 months to give it a complex aroma, body and flavour that is distinct to it.

Napa Valley white wines are known for tropical fruity flavours and their rounder and richer style which could be due to the fact that Napa Valley happens to be a warmer grape cultivating area in California. This particular winery is owned by Dennis and Judy Groth, one of the founding members of Atari Video Games Company who brought it in 1984 after the video game company was sold and Dennis needed a ‘hobby’. Groth is also renowned for producing great Cabernets & good quality Chardonnays.

Sauvignon Blanc 2009 vintage, according to the Winery, had “lack of excessive heat and heat spikes, allowing us to make wines at more moderate alcohols while still retaining a tremendous amount of fruitiness and acidity”.

Serve the Groth Sauvignon Blanc at 55 - 60 temperature which will allow its full spectrum to be revealed. Much colder and it will seem a bit muted.

What distinguishes Groth from New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc kind is its aroma of rich and ripe peach, melon and honeysuckle on the nose, with just a hint of yeast. It is crisp but not full on with melon continuing to dominate as lime and yellow grape
fruit on the periphery. The acidity is nicely balanced out with the creamy texture. Medium body thatlasts long and elegant.

Go ahead and serve it with white fish, shellfish or chicken without giving it a second thought. I suspect that it would taste just as good with foods such as Caesar salad, goats cheese,and crab meat or seafood pasta.

Barrels and Stills is a leading online wine storethat offers a wide variety of wines from all over the world such as  Groth Sauvignon Blanc at incredible prices. To check out the entire range of wines or place your order, logon to

Add A Comment: