It is vital for us to care for our home. This includes our electrical, drainage and sewage system. We should always keep an eye for even the smallest things that can go wrong, as these may lead to bigger expenses.
If you notice even the slightest change in your wiring or drainage system, you should pay attention immediately. Also, do not neglect your sewer. This may be clogged without you even knowing. So, how do you determine when you need sewer cleaning services?
Signs of Sewer Problems
- You encounter gurgling and noisy pipes. Be on the lookout for this since this means there may be a blockage in the pipes.
- You notice bad odor coming from the sewage line. This means there is stagnant water present.
- The toilet and the drains malfunction. When you flush and see that the water is coming back up, there must be something clogging the pipes. This takes places because the flushed water is not able to go down the drain and flows back up.
- Look for trapped air in the plumbing system. Turn on your faucet and run water in the sink nearest to your toilet. If the toilet bubbles or the water level rises in the bowl -- then the problem is in your sewer line.
- Slow draining pipes must always be attended to. There may be a small block, which can lead to something bigger when ignored.
- You notice brown and rusty water coming from your pipes. Turn on more than one faucet in your house. If the pressure significantly drops, it is time to call your plumber.
Sewer Cleaning Prevention and Care
What do you need to do to prevent a sewer blockage?
- Rule of thumb: Do not flush down diapers, tampons and sanitary napkins.
- Dispose your cooking oil or properly. These can get stuck in your pipes, then flushed materials can get attached to the grease, therefore causing a build up or a clog.
- Install a backwater valve and a sump pit drainage system.
- Replace old pipes since these are more prone to collapse, causing obstruction.
- Do not throw huge foreign objects down the drain as well. Educate the people in your household especially kids and inform them not to flush toys or various things in the toilet.
- It pays to plan ahead. This can eliminate headaches, stress, complications and more expenses.
- Schedule a regular sewer cleaning as part of your plumbing maintenance and routine.