High blood pressure is the most common problem occurring these days. It is known that symptoms of this disease go unnoticed but with time it can cause various devastating effects on the body. Having the problem of hypertension can lead you towards heart disease and heart strokes. Though, High BP develops in years and cause damage gradually but still it is important to diagnose it on time and seek proper medications.
The best and safest treatment for high blood pressure can be the diet and lifestyle changes. However, it is important to verify with your health advisors, if you are taking any supplements for high blood pressure.
- Alpha-Linolenic acid: shortly termed as ALA and is a type of Omega-3 fatty acids. This is found in flax and walnuts. According to some of the researchers, it has been observed that omega-3 fatty acids help in reduction of elevated BP readings.
- Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) - these are similar to essential fatty acids described above. The only difference lies in their origin as they come from animal sources. Some of the omega 3 supplements like cod liver oil and fatty fish have high quantities of DHA and EPA.
- Fiber/Psyllium: when you replace your refined carbohydrates with whole grains, you get a high amount of fiber. This fiber stops the increasing BP readings. People following the DASH (dietary approaches to stop Hypertension) are also benefited with the high fiber fruits and vegetables involved in it.
- Calcium: it has been observed through studies that people with low calcium content are at higher risk of hypertension. Therefore, fulfill the calcium requirements of your body and it will respond towards the hypertension.
- Cocoa: some dark chocolates contain compounds known as flavanols. One of this dark chocolate compounds is cocoa. When a high BP patient is given cocoa supplementation, his BP readings begin to lower down.
- Coenzyme Q10: according to the clinical reports, it was revealed that this supplement work in the treatment of high blood pressure. It helps in lowering of systolic as well as diastolic blood pressure. Some health practitioners are still in doubt the “what affects what” in this case but it is sure that supplementation lowers down your BP.
- Garlic: there are no consistent evidences that why garlic helps in the treatment of high blood pressure but it is true that patients have gotten some relief with it.
- Potassium: most of the people follow a diet plan where they consume more sodium than potassium. If you are a hypertension patient, you must consume high potassium and limit your sodium diet. It would be better if you consume potassium from some food sources.
- Magnesium: this component is said to bring the blood pressure readings in the normal range.
- Soy: Some reports says that soy milk and proteins bring the diastolic pressure readings down to an extend. If you take these supplements for high blood pressure along with fibers, more pronounced results were obtained.