How to Add a New Magento Shipping Module into the Website
Wondering if you could add a new Magento shipping module to your Magento-based website to enhance its functionality? Then, you have landed at the right place, because I’m going to elaborate on how to add a new shipping module to your existing website.
The process requires a little bit of programming; however, I’m not going to include that much detail and write the code here. In fact, I’ll restrict myself to just the process.
Adding a Magento shipping extension is not a difficult task, but yes, it includes some preparations and a little bit of programming. Before going into further details, let us first understand how it works.
How Magento Shipping ModuleWorks?
A shipping module basically defines the handling of the order, before it goes through the payment process. It helps browsers place the order and then decides how to go about the charging and delivering it to the customer.
Your Magento site takes the order in the similar manner and calculates the shipping charges based on the shipping option chosen by the customer. Each active shipping module processes the order in the same manner but offers different option to the browsers. They can choose any one from the available options to get the item delivered at their location.
Adding a New Shipping Module to Your Magento Website
- Just before you begin with the process, make sure to replace all instances of “your company” with the company name. In addition, replace “new module” with the new payment name. Check out the path of the PHP and make sure that it is app/code/local/. Don’t forget to clean the cache after modifying the config xml files.
- Set the configuration; create an xml file (app/code/local/yourcompany/newmodule/etc/config.xml) and do a little bit of required coding to make a new module. The Magento installation is aware that the new module is there but it still doesn’t have any conformation.
- Add information into adapter by creating app/local/code/yourcompany/newmodule/model/carrier/shippingmethod.php and do the required coding to add desired information. The Magento extensions give you the flexibility to set the name of the shipping method of your choice. It may depend upon the payment gateway that you are going to attach with it.
- Allow admin to configure the new module and let it show up in checkout process. Once you’re through this process, inform Magento that there is a new payment module that needs to be displayed in admin after configuration. For this, you’ll have to write a small code after creating an XML file (app/code/local/yourcompany/newmodule/etc/system.xml).
- Save the file and see if it is there as new payment module under system>configuration>shipping methods. The custom fields can also be added in the fields tag depending upon your requirements.
Adding new Magento shipping module is not difficult. All that goes into the process just includes the configuration and coding. If you’re unable to create and add a shipping module in the website, you can seek professional assistance.
Kuntal Mehta (KJ) is the managing partner of Seashore Partners, a web development, e-commerce solution and SEO company headquartered in New Jersey, United States. In this article, he discusses the process of adding a new Magento shipping module in the website briefly. He further suggests companies seeking professional assistance if they find it difficult to do in-house.