Document management system or DMS refers to the method of using a computer system that helps in tracking, managing and storing paper documents, images or simply electronic documents. With the help of this system you can track the changes that were made in the electronic documents. Basically, different changes are carried out by different people. This system has some overlapping concepts with the content management system (CMS). It is more often looked as a component of the ECM or enterprise content management system as well. This method is also very much related to the digital asset management, document imaging and records management systems.
Some of the important components of the most advanced M-Files document management system include:
1. Capture: With this component, DMS can take scanned images of various documents as directed. You can use the scanners and printers for creating digital images of paper documents.
2. Storage: This is a storage place for the processed electronic documents. These are also made available for the users when required. Also the process of migration takes place when required.
3. Retrieval: In this feature, you have to look for a piece of information that will situated anywhere in a complete library and therefore, its a little complex process.
4. Security of the documents: This is the most important part of the M-Files document management system. This is important because many organisations would demand certain standards before they opt for a new system.
5. Versioning: This is somewhat similar to the document retrieval.
An Overview of the M-Files Document Management System