Our drainage system is one of the most important parts of our home. This is where our water, waste and soap are disposed. That is why is it pertinent that we do our best to avoid problems from occurring. By preventing clogs and blockages from taking place, we save more money and eliminate the need for services related to drain cleaning.
Helpful Guidelines to Avoid Blocked Drains
It pays to be aware what we need to do to steer clear of clogged drains. Read the following simple tips that you and your family can do to avoid these:
- Rule of thumb: Never throw grease down the drain. These tend to harden and cause a build up, which will also serve as a blockage.
- Educate children not to throw or flush foreign objects like toys down the toilet. These may sound funny, but a backed up toilet is not a good sight.
- Pour hot water down the drain. This naturally aids in the prevention of sticky substances or blocks.
- Avoid using chemical cleaners. These can corrode pipes and do more harm than good.
- Use a strainer for your sinks and tubs. You can use a hair catcher or a screen as well. This should filter objects like food particles and hair. This simple step can prevent a block from forming.
- Regularly clean your sink stoppers. Wash them thoroughly at least once a week. Hair and other particles often get stuck on these stoppers which can cause a clog.
- Pour a concentrated salt water solution down the drain to prevent odor and build up.
- You can also use hot water and soap. First, squirt the dishwashing liquid into the drain. Then, pour hot water. The soap makes the pipes lubricated while the water washes away the dirt or clogs.
The Best Non-Chemical Drain Cleaner
What should you do when you are faced with a clog? Homeowners swear by the well known vinegar and baking soda solution. So, before calling your plumber, try doing these simple steps:
1. Remove any standing water.
2. Pour ½ cup of baking soda down the drain.
3. Then, follow it up with an equal amount of white vinegar.
4. Leave the area and do not wet it for three hours.
5. After this, boil a gallon of water. Then pour this down the drain to wash away the foam created by the solution.
These are very effective drain cleaning NJ tips.
Drain Cleaning - Common Tips to Avoid Clogs